Monday, February 19, 2007

Freaky

I have been totally freaked out by a TV programme tonight.
“The Twins Who Share A Body”.
Abby and Brittany Hansel.
We are talking about one body, two heads.
Two hearts, two sets of lungs but one of everything else.
It just made me think about all those ‘lone’ activities a teenager would participate in.
What if one of them is Gay and the other isn’t?
Or one wanted to be sexually active and the other didn’t?
How do you have a private chat with anyone?
They each worked an arm but couldn’t feel anything in the arm that wasn’t ‘theirs’.
Which brought me straight back to those ‘lone’ teenage activities!
For one of them it’s going to feel like someone else is ‘doing it’!
How cool!
This also made me wonder, if they took it in turns to wipe the shared arse.
They had to take two driving tests and each have a licence.
By the end of the programme I really admired them. They were both very different personalities and absolutely lovely girls.
Their parents have never allowed any tests on them, other than those that have been totally necessary.
They seem to have grown up as normal as is possible in that situation.

How long do you have to own a pair of jeans before they become ‘work jeans’?
I bought a new pair of jeans today with the idea that another pair will have to rotate in to the work jeans position.
I busted the arse out of my last pair.
How do you choose?
It’s the same with a pair of trainers or shoes.
At what point do they become ‘fuck-up-able’?

My beloved Spurs are in to the quarter finals of the FA cup, but have drawn Chelski, which isn’t such good news.
This has made me think of my Grandfather.

My Uncle M sat with my Grandfather’s third wife as she lay dying.
Pampam was in the living room watching football.
When my Uncle went in and said,
“She’s gone Dad”.
He looked up, nodded once and said,
“Bloody Spurs lost too”.

Started watching ‘Heroes’ tonight. I think I’m going to like this!

8 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Damn, woman! Now I have coffee all down myself :)

Yeah, Heroes is brill. Monday is Heroes night here too.

As for the conjoined twins stuff, I just had to stick my fingers in my ears and go 'lalalalalalalala...'

Sleepy said...

I couldn't help myself but look! Same as any programme about Tourettes!

LentenStuffe said...

Talk about a metaphor for what ails ... and just waiting to be written. Great stuff.

I like to jog, so know it's time to change the footwear when the ankles or shins start to smart ... jeans ... much more arbitrary.

TenaciousK said...

Conjoined twins:

Twins often have an interesting relationship, identical moreso, and conjoined the most. It's a different quality relationship, being that intimate with someone for your entire life, and sharing every experience with them. I think we try to generalize from our intimate experiences with other people, and anticipate all the ways in which being that close to someone can be painful.

But with conjoined twins, it's more like someone you trust intimately, and who you know as well as you know yourself.

Identical twins are similar in some respects, though the degree of intimacy in that situation can prove problematic. We tend to feel shame vicariously when someone we identify closely with is doing something we consider shameful. With identical twins this is much more intense, and a relationship that can be lovely, intimate and unique can devolve into a kind of self-hatred turned outwards, as they attempt to differentiate themselves from their identical, but have to put so much more effort into it because of the depth of similarity.

Same issue, more often but less intense, with fraternal twins.

I think there have been cases of loathing harbored by one conjoined twin for another, but the only vague memory I can come up with involves a twin who was biologically disadvantaged (somewhat deformed and cognitively inferior).

I don't think people have the context to imagine what a relationship with a conjoined twin would be like. The closest I can come is moments of simpatico, and imagining what it would be like to experience that feeling constantly and always, without respite.

Sassygril said...

I so identify with your grandfather...

Sleepy said...

Lentenstuffe... You are one of the few people how have trainers for their actual purpose!.

TK... I have to agree that twins, of any kind, have a special bond.
I know someone who was a triplet but the other two had a separate placenta and it failed.
It wasn't until she was born that the triplet status became known.
She insists that just as she is falling asleep she can feel them around her and she finds in comforting.
All that aside, seeing one body with two heads is freaky!

Sleepy said...

Sassy.. He wasn't one for great shows of emotion!

TenaciousK said...

Call me Zaphod.

I would like the extra arm, though. Two hands is never enough.