Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Light Blue Touchpaper...

Sometimes when I read stuff in the papers I can feel it winding me up as I go. A tight knot in my stomach and I start breathing out heavily.
This is the one that has got me today.

Mohammed Riaz covered his home, wife and four daughters in petrol and burned them all to death. He died 2 days later in hospital from his injuries.
The reason?
He was pissed off because of their ‘Westernised’ lifestyle, clothing and the fact that there were plans to have alcohol at his son’s 18th Birthday.
The son was terminally ill with cancer and they were having the party early. He died six weeks after the rest of his family.
A very sad story all round.
What has fucking annoyed me is that when they did an autopsy on the ‘religious’ Mr Riaz it turned out he had sclerosis of the liver.
Now correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t you get that from abusing alcohol, over quite a few years?
Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought alcohol was banned in Islam.
Fucking hypocrite.
Don’t get me wrong, I know that there are hypocrites of all religions, but for some reason I find this case particularly galling.

My favourite Europeans have been at it again.
During Manchester United’s match in Lens last night, United fans, fearing a Hillsborough repeat, tried to climb the fence.
There was one entrance, that was also the exit, and the arrival of supporters at the same time caused a bit of a crush.
The French police responded sensitively, with batons and tear gas.
The implication being, that no matter how ‘rehabilitated’ the English fan abroad, they are still there to cause trouble.
Most of the fans were staying 25 miles away in Lille and at the end of the match, found out that the French had arranged no public transport back to Lille.
To me, this helps to prove what I’ve always suspected, the French are one baton charge away from being Nazis!

Schnee’s post has reminded me of a strange conversation I had with a Pompey taxi driver.
As we pulled up outside my house, and I started doing the strange back seat break dance you do when pissed and trying to get money out of your pocket.
Out of the blue he asked me if I knew ‘the lady at number 38 was a prostitute?’.
It wasn’t until I had staggered indoors that I felt outraged!
Why the fuck would he think I’d know the lady down the road was a Pro?
Did he think we got a ‘Neighbour Discount’ or something?
We get all sorts through the door.
Cards for window cleaners, restaurants, beauty salons, people who want to align my Chi with crystals, decorators, all political parties and gardeners.
Not once have I had a ’knob a neighbour’ or ‘roger a resident’ card.
Most disappointing.

3 comments:

Sassygril said...

ooh, liver sclerosis - I think that this is has several causes, but alcohol abuse is often the biggie. It's a terribly sad story - I can remember being truly horrified by it when the story broke. I don't get it. Truly.

Nob a neighbour? Do you remember the blonde down our old street???? She took that one to the next level...

Sleepy said...

It is really sad, a whole family wiped out.

Did she ever!!

Schneewittchen said...

And won't in fact be condemned by everyone.
Harsh. And horrid. And remember the French Canadian town I blogged about where they posted rules for living in the town, including that it is unacceptable to burn or stone women to death, or circumcise them? Yeah well a bunch of Muslim women who clearly have some kind of dyslexia when it comes to their own religion, turned up and protested that the town was stereotyping.
Hmmmm....