Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tossed, Beaten And Battered

Today is Shrove Tuesday or as it is known in my house, Pancake Day!
Whoo Hoo!
When we were kids pancakes were filled with Golden Syrup, lemon juice and sugar.
There would be a competition between my Uncle and Grandfather as to who could eat the most. The 23 scoffed by Uncle M is still the family record.
I think I have managed 4 then felt sick.
For a long time I thought that was what everybody had in their pancakes, that it was a kind of law. Like Horseradish with beef.
But as I have got older and shared the day with lots of different people, I have found that each family seems to have their own traditions as to what goes in.
One friend introduced me to pancakes spread with Nutella and then rolled, quite yummy.
Another has tinned mandarins. Mix those with the Nutella and it’s even better, apparently.
So, what will be in or on yours?

Yesterday we got our first look at the letter bomber who was pissed off at people linked to motoring enforcement.
It looked like an old school photo, a particularly dodgy one at that.
For those of you who have played the ‘Exam Invigilation Game’ at Mayhem, he would have got a vote in the, “Stand behind child most likely to be a serial killer” category.
Although, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him the, “Picture in Paper with tagline, then turned gun on self” group.
It’s funny how sometimes a kid will have a certain look about them.
This bloke had it.

9 comments:

TenaciousK said...

In my house, it was ebleskivers - a round, Scandinavian pancake, though we did ours without the "eble" (apple), coated with powdered sugar, or Swedish pancakes (sometimes with lingoberries) - like crepes, but not really. Occasionally my daughter asks for buttermilk pancakes with chocolate chips in them.

Now I'm hungry - think I'll go grab some lunch.

[the little fella in the second pic - is that the sort of look you're referring to?]

Sleepy said...

TK.. Ooooh.. You don't get Ebleskivers at Ikea. Swedish Meatballs, yes.

Yep. That's the look. Glasses could be added!

Sassygril said...

God, I just adore pancakes. One of my favourite 'meals' involved having a pancake with chocolate sauce, cream and bananas at Glastonbury after a heavy night on the lager. Pure heaven.

Doing pancakes was also a parental speciality. It involved large amounts of swearing (from my rather proper mother) and pancakes being tossed into the airing rack by my father (cue even more swearing). I learned to be grateful for what pancakes I was able to eat. The ones I had tonight were delicious and reminded me of home - sans swearing.

Sleepy said...

Sassy.. You should have said. Swearing could so easily have been supplied for you!

Schneewittchen said...

Yes, it was like a religious ritual. Oh, come to think of it, it actually is a religious ritual.
Anyroad, in our house it was caster sugar and lemon juice.
I think you just gave me an excuse to wander down to Ikea, I mean they may have introduced those eblewhatsits since my last visit, always best to check....

Sleepy said...

Schnee.. Do it!
Did you find out if they have wireless connection yet?
I have this brilliant image of you setting up 'Office' in their restuarant.

Anonymous said...

at our house it was maple syrup (of course) - but usually fake aunt jemimah stuff. we have to ship it out to my brother in scotland now - apparently tesco's doesn't carry it. when i was a kid, i loved pancakes that were raw in the middle.

sleepy, been keeping up with your blog and i've decided it's high time you visited schnee. i've got the proper enticements - hopefully she's passed them on.

Schneewittchen said...

Indeed I have :)

Your brother's pulling a fast one on you Gail, Tesco have their own Maple Syrup, number 1, medium; they have a Tate and Lyle maple Syrup, no grade number, and they have a number 1 light in their own Tesco's finest range.
Trick him into giving you his tesco card number then order some online and get it delivered to him:)
Oh, and I know that Sainsburys have it too. I used to always take it back with me until I found that Rowse's grade 1 maple syrup was cheaper from Sainsburys.

Sleepy said...

gail.. Plans are afoot in the visiting department!
Waitrose also do a range of Maple syrups!
Or you could send a Red Maple Leaf Parcel, it's similar to a Red Cross one but carries delicacies from Canada!