Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Headlines, TV And Dad

I keep seeing the headline that Miss Moneypenny has died.
Well, the actress who played her.
The problem is I don’t see Moneypenny, I see Miss Funnyfanny.
Go on!
Imagine it being said with Connery’s accent.
Catchy isn’t it?
Thought I’d infect others with that.

Surfed into an episode of Hill Street Blues this afternoon.
So many young and now famous faces.
It was a programme we were allowed to stay up and watch if we were good.
The music just whipped me back to ATM’s front room during the 80’s.
The annoying clock that used numerous ball-bearings to indicate the time.
Which sounded like hammers and anvils being dropped on girders every hour.
The remote on the VCR was attached to it by wire.
My sister had a selection of leg warmers and I had lots of ‘Day-Glo’ socks, which were never worn as a pair.

I went to see my Dad last night.
First time in a few years.
I have tried to avoid it because I got it into my head,
‘I didn’t want to see him die’.
It was like we had never been apart.
He tried to get me to argue with him a few times but I ‘Matrixed’ those attempts.
We hugged a lot and got pissed.
Him grabbing bits of his mouth and showing me the cancerous areas was a bit hectic and I really hate seeing him without his teeth in.
The sense of humour was exactly the same we drank, smoked a joint and laughed a lot.
He is still smoking but has told the hospital he’s given up.
Gregory House is right, ‘They all lie’.
Amazingly and scarily he’s drinking 2 litres of Cinzano Bianco a day!
No mixer, straight up, from a half pint glass.
He’s fucking hardcore my Dad!

We talked about the different places I have visited in the time we haven’t had contact.
My Step Mum loves to travel but Dad isn’t a patient man and without a smoke his temper is quick and epic.
I told him about nicotine patches and the joys of Temazepam mixed liberally with alcohol. I also mentioned that, while he still could, he should get out and see something of the world.
We discussed Prague and Budapest.
This morning he phoned to tell me they were booking a trip to Rhodes!

Nice one Pa!

2 comments:

Sassygril said...

That's brilliant and it sounds as tho you inspired your dad as well.
Cool.

Sleepy said...

Sassy.. Yep, it was good to see him.
He was tearful at first, then arsey but cool in the end!